Day: 34 and I am back in Hollywood. I only stayed one night in Santa Monica, but now I wish I stayed much longer! The hostel in Santa Monica was amazing! It did lack in the sense of 'community' that the Venice Hostel had, so it wasn't as much of a party hostel, but it made up for this in every other way! There were so many rooms- 3 or 4 floors with atleast 20 rooms on each! The bathrooms were large and the showers were really good (after staying at the Venice Hostel I really appreciated a working shower tap!). There were little lounge rooms everywhere- one room had a projector TV with heaps of couches, kinda of like a theatre room. If I ever stay in LA again, that is where I will stay for sure!
I was a little bit sad to leave the Venice hostel though, just because I was getting to know everyone there. I was supposed to meet up with a couple of those people last night but it didn't work out. So, instead, I took myself out for dinner- it has been a while since I last went out for a meal by myself, I forgot how much I don't like it! I don't mind eating by myself, it's just not as fun without someone to share it with. But I got to watch the sunset and my meal was delicious- vegetarian kale tacos with truffle sauce! With a Pina Colada to wash it down ;)
While I was eating dinner, the most amazing truck pulled up across the street. At first I didn't think much of it, but when a girl dressed in really cool clothes hopped out and started opening all the doors, I almost couldn't eat my food fast enough to get over there! It was a mobile thrift store!!! I have seen these in American movies before, but never in real life!!! I chatted to the owner for a little while and she was really nice and told me I could also buy from her business online. But I was more interested in the CONCEPT of her business! Have I found my calling in life? Is driving a cute little van filled with vintage treasures my fate? I think it might be! Travelling the world AND selling vintage clothes..yup- I wanna be a Gypsy!
| Pina Colada- one of my favourite drinks but I wish I had someone to share it with! |
I am now back in Hollywood for the night, back in the hostel that I stayed in at the start of the trip. I really love this hostel, I have stayed in 3 different rooms here and they were all really nice. I love that the 1920's stye has been maintained.
This morning when I woke up, I had a shower in the nice Santa Monica hostel shower and used their complimentary hair dryer (this felt amazing, as I have not blow-dried my hair in about a month!). When I went downstairs to check out, I saw a sign for a business called 'Hostel Hoppers.' I hadn't seen this before, and the advertisement claimed that it was a little bus that drove around to different LA hostels for about $10 a ride. There was a free number to call, so I rang up and booked it. The lady on the phone said it would be $10 but I would have to go for a bit of a ride to other hostels and the airport before I was dropped off. I said this was fine.
Half an hour later I was sitting out the front of the hostel when a guy about my age came up to me and asked if I was waiting for the Hostel Hopper. He was the driver, and after he rounded up one more traveller I helped him to load my back pack into the car. After driving to the airport and making one other stop, we had been driving for about an hour. I didn't mind because I was talking with the driver, who's name was Daniel, the whole time. The only bad thing was that I was hungry.
'Sorry this has taken so long!' He said, to which I replied I didn't mind at all, apart from the fact that I needed some food soon!
'Do you wanna get some food? Have you been to In&Out Burger yet?' He asked.
I'm not sure if I have mentioned it on this blog before, but In&Out Burger has been on my to-do-list since I got to the US, but I hadn't got around to it yet! So when Daniel asked this, I happily agreed! He was a really nice guy with lots of interesting insights about LA- especially LA women! So on the way to my hostel, we stopped at In&Out Burger and I let Daniel order me what he thought was the best thing to get for my first time- 'The double-doulbe burger, animal fries and a coke.'
| Daniel and his 3 burgers from In&Out |
| My meal. Probably the MOST American thing I have eaten since being here... The burger was really yummy, but I didn't think much of the animal fries- way too greasy for me! Good to try though! |
After lunch Daniel dropped me off, and I gave him a good tip for being such a champ! Like everyone else I have met so far, we added each other on facebook and then he was on his way!
I am now back at my favourite hostel, not really sure what I am doing tonight. Tom is driving from Morro Bay right now, I think we might go out tonight. Don't want to have a HUGE night though because we are going camping on Catalina Island tomorrow! The ferry leaves at 9am! So hopefully we make it...
| The wrap skirt I bought from the mobile vintage van! As well as my favourite lipstick....I also really love the old-fashioned dresser! |
No comments:
Post a Comment