Yes...I know it looks terrible...but war-time romance novels are my guilty pleasure! Good thing thrift shops are mainly where you find these tacky things- this one only cost me 50cents! This is my third book of the trip, so it is good when they are this cheap because I don't feel bad about leaving them on a park bench or the back pocket of a plane seat- for the next lucky reader to find! ;) I also thought I would post about it because I haven't really talked much about thrift shopping lately...I have been to some good ones but I can't bring myself to buy stuff and make my bag even heavier!!! So novels might have to satisfy my op-shopping needs until I get to the UK!
I am still in Starbucks right now...it has been almost 2 hours and I think the staff are starting to think I am just part of the furniture. I don't mind though- it seems that Starbucks is the place for using free wifi- I'm not the only one in here with a laptop, that's for sure.
I thought I would talk a little bit about what I have been experiencing/thinking since being on this trip, since I have really only been posting about what I have been seeing... plus I am bored right now haha!
So lets see...
What have I learnt?
-I have learnt that I don't mind being on my own. On some days, especially on the days when I am travelling from one place to another, it feels like I haven't opened my mouth to talk to anyone all day! It is a strange feeling, but also a kind of peaceful one.
-I have learnt that travelling makes you feel like extra clothes and accessories are a hindrance, rather than a necessity. I have never liked wearing the same outfit more than a couple of times...but since being away I don't mind because everywhere I go is new, and in some strange way this seems to make my outfit new too! No one there has seen it yet! Plus I am finding that I am just wearing what is at the top of my backpack and easiest to reach, rather than searching through it. Oh, and my backpack weighs a ton so the less clothes, the better! I have actually already done 2 bag cleanses where I have given away clothes and other stuff I was carrying to op-shops. Very satisfying, I must say!
-I have learnt that good shoes are a god-send. In California, Tom took me to the Vans store and I bought 3 pairs for $100- soooo cheap. I left one pair with Tom to send to me later, but I am so glad for the other two pairs. They are so comfy and really good for the days that I am doing a lot of walking around train stations/ airports.
-I have learnt that loneliness can creep up on you at the most unexpected times. I have also found that I don't know myself as much as I thought I did before I left- in regard to what I am capable of doing and also some personal stuff about my personality... this is all a good thing- big learning experience!
Anyway, that's enough for now...this post is getting too long!
I finally caved and bought a Starbucks coffee...made with milk, NOT cream! But now I think that is enough wifi, time to go read my tragic war-time romance novel in the Vancouver sun!!!!
xxx

No comments:
Post a Comment