Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Uni registration, enrolment, inductions...Happy Birthday to ME!!!


Yes, yesterday was indeed my 23rd Birthday, and what a strange and busy one it was! Coincidently, yesterday was also my first day at Sunderland University! I only arrived in Sunderland the night before, so it has all been a bit frantic!
So far, I love Sunderland. It is a very friendly, student-packed, seaside town with lovely 'English-looking' streets that I guess are still a novelty for me at the moment! 
Things I love about it so far:

1. The sound of the seagulls in the morning
2.The fact that there are students EVERYWHERE from all over the world
3.My housemates
4.The kind and welcoming locals of Sunderland!

So, as I said, yesterday was my birthday, and it definitely was very different from the first 22 birthdays I have had! For one thing, it was strange being away from my family and friends back home. However, I still got a birthday hug from all my housemates (that I had only met the night before!) a little present from Beth and a cupcake from one of Beth's house mates, Bia from Germany! So I was a very lucky girl! I also spoiled myself a little bit- new runners, a new blender and a new bedspread! 


Beth and I also went out for a cup of tea and a cupcake. We were supposed to go out for a birthday breakfast but we had too much to do at uni in the morning- so a cup of on-the-go oats was my birthday breakfast!



Apart from all the birthday stuff, yesterday was full of registrations, inductions, enrolments, applications... all of which generally included a large line up and waiting time! But I didn't mind so much, I am really excited to start studying and I know all these things have to be done! PLUS- I was mega excited when I found the gym!!!!! After two months of travelling, it was a sight for sore eyes! I can't wait to get into routine and feel healthy again!

Yes...I was this excited
But I think the whole 'routine' thing might be a bit hard around here! I am staying in Clanny House, which is a student accommodation complex. So far it has been party, party, PARTY, and it has only been 3 nights! When I first arrived I opened the fridge in the communal kitchen to see what it was like...and found this:

Classic university student fridge- don't worry about food, we have beer!

But that is ok, I am sure I will still be able to maintain some sort of healthy lifestyle...maybe? Only time will tell! I think because this week and next week are 'Freshers weeks' (a kind of non-stop period of parties and activities provided for new students of the university) people are bound to get pretty into it! I have to say, the uni has done a great job of putting it all together- I can see how much effort has gone into it and I think it is really paying off- everyone is having a blast!

This is just 1 of the 3 shopping trips I have done so far...I promise it isn't
ALL clothes...there are some home wares and necessities in there as well...

Then, apart from birthday and uni activities, there was the shopping. Because I have been in warmer countries for the past couple of months, I had no winter clothes and it is pretty cold here already! So I had to go out and buy some clothes (any excuse!) but also kitchen and home appliances and other boring stuff. 
Back to talking about clothes- H&M, Primark, Next, New Look and Top Shop are all my new best friends! British shopping is good fun!

Our kitchen!

I am over the moon about my room in Clanny House! My bedroom is WAY bigger than I ever expected, the showers work fine, the kitchen is awesome- and I couldn't be happier with my new housemates! There are 6 of them: Theresa, Sasha and Julian from Germany, Matt and Maria from the U.S and Jason from Malaysia! I am the only Aussie! 
Beth is in the same block as me, but in a different flat- we are neighbours! So cool! Plus all her housemates seem lovely! So many new friends to make- it is so overwhelming!  
My room...before it got messy!

The gym <3

My new union jack bed spread! Had to do it..!

I am feeling very excited and overwhelmed about everything- I can't wait to start studying next week (yes, I know I am a nerd for saying that!). I am not homesick yet, but maybe that it because I skyped my family this morning- even my dog, Milly!

She was so excited to see me!
My first gym session at Sunderland this morning definitely helped with all the stress and put me in a positive mood! I am so excited to start my new life for the next 5 months- as a Sunderland Uni student!
First gym sesh: complete! Feelin' gooooood :)





1 comment:

  1. It all sounds exciting. You are so lucky to be doing this now. It will give you memories that will last a life time. Telling your grandchildren when I was in Sunderland.

    ReplyDelete