A couple of days ago, all the international students (well, those that managed to get tickets) went on a trip to York that the Uni had organised. It was only 20pounds to go, so Beth and I booked tickets weeks ago!
The bus ride took about an hour and a half and we left pretty early in the morning, so I fell asleep on the way. But what I DID see of the scenery on the way was so beautiful. I was so intrigued by the sheep on the farms we passed- they all had black faces and feet! Different to Australian sheep!
When we got to York, the Uni staff lead us to the entrance wall of the city and then basically said 'See you back here at 4.30- have fun!' I thought that was really cool, because I really hate guided tours- especially because there was two bus loads of us! So Beth, myself and a couple of girls from Beth's flat stuck together for the day. We started off by having tea in a little English-style tea house. I had a Rooibos tea and a bite of Beth's scone with jam and cream- so very English of us!
Even if I ever went to York and did nothing put walked around the streets, that would be enough for me! The streets are so typically English and so different from Australia. Every street, building and shop was fascinating to me!
The church in the centre of the town was beautiful. Half of it was under construction so it was hard to get a good photo of it. But it was still truly majestic.
 |
We walked past Clifford Tower, but didn't go in. There were so many things that we didn't get to do, but Beth and I are already planning our return to York to see the rest of it! |
 |
The York Food Festival was on! I always love food/wine festivals and this one was no exception. It was interesting to see all the different local produce and wines. Plus...free tastings are always good! |
 |
This stall was amazing. I didn't buy anything myself, but I did have a bite of a Lemon-frosted cookie that one of my friends bought... and I have to say it was the most life changing cookie I have ever tasted!! |
 |
| I loved this building- look how wonky it is! So old and full of character! |
 |
| A better photo of the church- you can see the construction on the left, though. |
 |
Another building under construction- the Art Gallery! I was so disappointed that it was closed! It reopens in November, so I will have to go back then! Any excuse to get back to York! |
For majority of the day, our little group walked through the York Castle Museum. It was probably one of the most interesting museums I have ever been to! The North tower was set up to show how people lived in Victorian times- including a fake set of what the streets would have looked like back then! The South tower consisted of an old jail in one section, and then the British 1960's in the other. So we walked through many different eras on that day!
 |
| This is the street set. It had sound effects and all different shop windows to look in! |
 |
| This was my favourite shop- the Milliners! |
 |
| Upper-class Victorian family room set |
 |
| Keen as mustard! |
 |
| Middle-class Victorian family room |
 |
| One of my favourite eras- the 50's kitchen! |
 |
This is from the 1960's section- flower power! The funny thing was, the clothes that they had in this section were pretty similar to the clothes I wear now! I would definitely wear those pants! |
 |
| What my kitchen would be like if I lived in my favourite era of all- the 40's. |
 |
| Another 60's outfit that I would definitely wear! This was my favourite piece of clothing that I saw |
 |
| The Singer- a household necessity! |
 |
The old jail section was very interesting. Beth and I share an interest in all the gloomy-doomy aspects of history, so this was perfect for us! They had projectors displaying all these actors representing different inmates from the 1800's. It was good because you got an idea of what their life was like in prison and how they eventually died. The projectors were really effective too, because the projections of the actors looked like ghosts. |
 |
| Beth behind bars! |
After spending almost 3 hours in the York Castle Museum, we found that we didn't have that much time left to do anything else! So instead of squeezing in another attraction, we decided to just wander around and have some lunch.
 |
We found a tea room that had a downstairs section with vintage tea sets! I almost hyperventilated when I saw the display! When I go back to York I will be having tea there for sure! |
 |
| This one was my favourite :) |
We had such a lovely day, but I didn't get to see even half as much as I wanted to! It is easy to get there, though, so I am sure I will be back there soon enough.
After a sleep on the bus ride home, I was still exhausted after such a long day! Beth and I planned on having a quiet night in...
 |
I am loving being able to prepare my own food! I have been mega healthy since I got here, but just making simple stuff. When I get more settled I will start doing some real cooking! I miss it! |
 |
After a long day, it was nice to come home and find a parcel waiting for me! My lovely Grumpy and Grandy sent me this cool card and my favourite moisturiser all the way from Aus! |
 |
| I also came home to Clanny Cat sitting outside my apartment! I don't know who owns this cat, but apparently he just lives in the Clanny House complex! I'm not sure what his name is- there are only rumours so far- Garfield, Firetruck, ClannyCat...I have just been calling him ClannyCat! He is the most friendly cat I have ever met, and he often joins in when there is a party going on in one of the flats... It is nice having him around! |
....I know I said Beth and I were planning on a quiet night, but we actually did quite the opposite! We were easily convinced and ended up going out until about 4.30am! We had the best time and made some really good new friends! I was happy because although it was a big night, I didn't drink too much so I was still able to get up and go to the gym the next day! After a whole day in York and then a whole night out on the town, it is safe to say Beth and I were happy to stay home and watch TV on her laptop last night!
 |
| You know you are amongst the North-England nightlife when your toilet seat is made of gold glitter.... |
York looks gorgeous, as always your photos are really your tours justice.xx
ReplyDeletedoh, your photos do your tours justice -_-
ReplyDelete