Towards the end of my pre-uni travelling, I said to myself that I would have a month off from drinking once I got to Sunderland. I have NOT stuck to that. With all the Freshers events, meeting new people and socialising going on, it is pretty hard to avoid having a few drinks around here! Especially with so many stressful days at Uni trying to organise everything, I don't think I can really blame myself for not sticking to my sober plan!
In saying that, I haven't been partying nearly as much as everyone else. In hindsight, I would have done my travelling separate to my exchange, just because everyone is so pumped and ready to party right now, whereas I am just really tired and craving routine! I have been getting more excited about going to the gym than partying!
I have never been one to shy away from a beer, and I don't think my exchange here in Sunderland is a good place to start! So I have been trying to create a good balance- I have been going to a few of a Freshers parties and having a couple of drinks, but then going home at around midnight at the latest. Beth is in the same mindset as me, so it has worked out well for us to leave at a reasonable time so that we can get up and go to the gym the next day! The Freshers parties have been fun though, and they are definitely a good way to meet new people!
| The first Freshers party I went to was 'The Loveable Rogues' gig. The band put on a pretty good show and the place was PACKED! |
The next Freshers party we went to was the UV party, where we had to put on disposable over-alls due to fluorescent paint being thrown everywhere inside the club...It was all fun and games before some green paint went in my hair, then it was time to go home!
| 'King Julian' (one of my housemates from Germany), Beth and I in our UV party get-up |
My favourite 'night-out' so far was at Revolution Bar. The Uni hosted a welcome party for international students at the bar from 5pm until about 8pm (I think). They put on free food and a few free drinks, plus I really liked Revolution Bar. Going to have a drink at a pub is much more my style than the clubbing and rave-style parties that have been going on during Freshers week, so I had a really nice time. I was in bed by about 10pm, too- ready for gym the next morning, just the way I like it!
| This is just a vodka advertisement, but I loved the Pin-Up girl, of course! |
| Revolution Bar rooftop |
| Bea, my new friend from Germany, surrounded by balloons and looking every bit the sweetheart that she is! |
| The photo is a bit dark, but this is Beth, Bea and I on one of the nights out. |
I know a few people have been a bit puzzled by me not drinking much and getting up early to go to the gym, but that is just what I feel like doing right now! After a few weeks when I feel like I am healthier (and maybe have lost some of the weight I gained travelling in the last 2 months!) I will be just as keen to party as anyone else!
But for now I am happy getting up early, hitting the gym and feeling more like myself again!
NOT being hung over is also much better for exploring! So Beth and I have been doing a lot of that!
| I already love my new gym- awesome facilities and it is on campus, so really convenient! |
NOT being hung over is also much better for exploring! So Beth and I have been doing a lot of that!
| The Stadium of Light- I can't wait to see a soccer match...or a football match, as I now need to call them! |
| Me, strolling the streets of Sunderland! |
Can you really blame me for wanting to get up early after seeing these photos? Photo credit to Beth- I stole them from her iPhone! Sunderland, you are a very pretty place in the mornings!
It was good to talk to you yesterday. Looking at the post after makes it come more alive than it already is. We are so proud of you. Sunderland and York through your eye look amazing. Keep it up.
ReplyDelete