I've had a pretty eventful past week. I am starting to get used to my daily routine here- gym, uni, gym, homework, gym....Yep, that's pretty much my routine and I actually really love it! It is so convenient having my gym on the Uni campus- not only because I can work out more but also because it gives me something to do between classes when my brain decides it can't study anymore.
But amongst all that, last week I really wanted to cook for my housemates. I have been so lucky with who I have been put in a house with- all such different people that are cool in their own way. So I wanted to do something nice for them...plus I REALLY love cooking (to the absolute shock and disbelief of one of my housemates, Theresa!). I cook for myself everyday here, but I can never cook anything really interesting because it is no fun to do that just for myself. So last Wednesday on my day off from uni, I spent the ENTIRE day preparing and chopping up the ingredients for the meal I was going to make for all my lovely housemates! I started cooking at around 4 and by 6.30 I had conjured up 2 curries- butter chicken and a vegetable curry- both made from scratch, 2 gigantic piles of rice (it was mostly boys eating, and they always need so much rice!) and a little stack of papadums... It took a very long time to cook but I enjoyed every second of it!
Everyone seemed to love it, and most people went back for seconds. Everything was eaten except a little bit of the veggie curry, which I was happy to freeze for another time (I was really happy with how that one turned out, since I made up the recipe myself). Only thing was, the curries were a little bit too spicy for the german boys, who said they still enjoyed it but then sat around with big glasses of milk afterwards! I thought that was pretty cute, especially since I didn't put any chilli in at all!
I can't wait to cook again- one of my housemates requested home made burgers, which could be fun to make and a LOT cheaper than curry!
A couple of days later, Beth and I went to London for the weekend! I didn't see a whole lot of London when I was last there, so it was good to go back- plus I was so excited to see Laura again!
We caught the overnight bus to London and arrived at 6am...to find that we couldn't check into our hostel until 2pm...which was heartbreaking but also a good thing- it forced us to stay out of the hostel and see more of London! We met up with Laura (so happy to see that girl!) and then went to the Camden Markets. They were cool, but apart from a vintage store there wasn't much there that interested us.
| I love this photo- such a happy snap! I also really love this girl! She is making my time in the UK better than I ever thought it would be- such a lovely friend to have! |
So since Camden didn't have anything that interested us too much, we went somewhere that couldn't fail in that department- The Borough FOOD markets!
This place was amazing- full of fresh fruit and vegetables, vintage cheeses, wine tastings and homemade pastries! We tried lots of different food and also got a Pimms each to accompany us as we walked!
| I couldn't resist this shop- and not just because of the polka-dots (obviously!) I got a bread and butter pudding which the lady warmed up for me- so delicious! |
We did a little bit of sight seeing later on, but were saving most of it for the next day. But I did see London Bridge, which was pretty exciting!
After walking around London for 8 hours straight, Beth and I could finally check into out hostel where we had a long (well deserved) nap! Once we were all rested, we got up again, back on the tube to Clapham North to meet Laura and her sister for dinner and drinks...we were exhausted on the way home, it was a big day- but no one could say we didn't seize it!
The next day was sight seeing day! We got up and took advantage of the free breakfast at the hostel (which was the best free breakfast I have had at a hostel- hot croissants, muesli, juice and unlimited tea and coffee). Then we were back on the ever-efficient tube line heading towards Trafalgar square, which was within walking distance of pretty much everything that I wanted to see that day.
| The London Eye- I didn't go on, but hopefully the next time I go back to London I will... |
| Big Ben- me and Beth's favourite attraction! |
| I had to get the touristy red telephone box photo...I have been told that the inside of them smell like urine, so I opted to just stand next to this one! |
| Oxford Circus...really is a circus! It is literally busy like this all day everyday apparently! The weekend would not be complete without just a little bit of shopping...right? |
We also went to Hamley's famous toy store! It was such a happy place (apart from all the little kids running around and screaming at the tops of their lungs and their exhausted and fed-up-looking parents chasing after them....) HAPPY PLACE!
| My favourite toys at Hamley's...Had to resist taking one home (for money saving reasons, not because I am too old or anything...) |
| Beth found new student accommodation at Hamleys! |
| Sparkles! Don't worry, I would not allow this purchase |
We were also supposed to meet up with Malin on that day, but it didn't work out for a few different reasons, which was a bit disappointing... but I felt happier after the Lunch Beth and I had- a really tasty green salad with avocado and tomato salsa and a feta tart...damn it was good.
We had another really long
day, and ended up staying out so late in the afternoon that we didn't bother
going home. We met up with Laura again and had dinner and a couple of drinks,
before getting back on the tube to meet our guide for the JACK THE RIPPER NIGHT
TOUR! I was really excited to see this, and it did not disappoint! We chose the
'London Walks' tour, which is a couple of people who run walking-tour groups.
It was a good way of doing it (there were a few different tours groups to chose
from) because we didn't have to book- we just turned up at the meeting place at
7.30pm and off we went! The two guides that ran it were really impressive- so
knowledgeable about the topic and you could really see they enjoyed telling you
the gruesome story. They were so animated and energetic when they talked that
they kept you interested and made the tour really scary but also enjoyable! I
would definitely recommend this for anyone visiting London! We were also lucky
that it was such a nice night- we didn't even need coats. It was so nice that
after the tour, Beth and I got a cup of tea and some roasted chestnuts and sat
overlooking the Tower of London...so strange to sit and look at the place where
Henry VIII lived, while enjoying a cup of tea! Definitely a surreal but lovely
way to end a day in London with one of your best mates!
All up I had a really nice time in London. Seeing Laura was so nice- it was good to see her looking so healthy, happy and beautiful (as always!)
But she also reminded me of home and all the friends that I miss back there, which gave me a bout of homesickness! I have to say, I was actually happy to come back to Sunderland- this place already feels like a second home, which is strange since I have barely been here a month! I guess because I have made so many new friends in Clanny house and also at uni that the whole place is a bit of a comfort to me. When I think about leaving here at the end of my exchange I feel really sad! But then again, I am missing a lot of people from my home in Australia...so you gotta' take the good with the bad I guess!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment